Answer each question in paragraph format of in 7-9 sentences. Please do not number your paragraphs; you may create a heading (i.e. “Question 1) and then compose your paragraph.
- What does the controlling metaphor in Donne’s Meditation 17 mean: “No man is an island…”?
- What is Donne’s call to action for humanity in this poem?
- According to Kipling, and in your own words, what was the “White Man’s Burden”?
- What reward did Kipling suggest the “White Man” gets for carrying his “burden”?
- Who did Kipling think would read his poem? What do you think that this audience might have said in response to it? How do you respond to this message as a 21st century reader today?